Hi Don:

I think you are over-optimistic about today's youth. There is little music education in the public
schools, at least in the U.S. If there is a "real" piano present, it is badly out of tune and may
have been vandalized to the point of non-fuction. It's probably used as a prop in the auditorium. As
for an acoustic guitar, unless you like music and have learned music or hang around musicians, you
likely have not heard an acoustic guitar. Many kids dabble in cheap electric guitars, plus there is
Guitar Band video gaming, but many fewer dabble in acoustic instruments. Some dabble with
computer-generated "music" via GarageBand and other software and phone apps. But there is far less
formal musical training and general education than one or two generations ago.

Some in the young generartion, the sons of Richard and Cory for example, were drawn to music and
received formal training and education. They have heard enough real, live music to understand a few
things about sound and tone, and now they are pursuing advanced education which will likely expose
them to further sound experiences to consider and absorb. They are the vast, vast minority. For most
young folks, music is background noise, part of a relentless and constant buzz in their ears. They
may know a few words (usually particularly filthy or violent raps), or a hum a few music phrases,
but their relationship with music is very different from the days when a young person would sit down
and LISTEN to an album. Even in those days, the majority of kids absorbed a constant drone of
3-minute singles from the AM radio. There was a very brief time in the history of the music
business, basically when the baby boomers got some wealth and maturity, when many people had a good
sound system and sat down regularly to listen to an album's worth of music. The "long-hairs"
(classical and jazz fans) were doing this from the dawn of the LP, but they were always a small
minority of music buyers and listeners.

I think music cheapened itself. When major rock and country artists started licensing their songs to
TV shows and commercials, then phone ring-tones, then Guitar Band, that was it. Back when there was
some idealism and "honor" among these musicians, it was considered a sell-out to license music for a
TV commercial. Once Chevy ads and "CSI" TV shows started featuring Who songs, you knew the deal was
done. The once-angry rebel band had completely sold out. Even songs from the once "rebel kings"
Clash have turned up as sonic wallpaper. All of this cheapens the songs and thus the kids tune out
and the music just becomes part of the roaring drone that is modern life.

-- Tom Fine