Hi, Paul,

LOL

No, the A80 doesn't go in the fridge. I was thinking that once I got it
unwound I'd probably play it with D5 lubrication.

The A77 fit in the kitchen fridge easily. I put an A810 in the work area
fridge and the fridge couldn't keep it cool. That sort of stymied my
approach to cold playback as the cooling capacity of the fridge has to
be higher than the standard kitchen fridge.

Christopher Campbell reported excellent results working outside in the
autumn...except one of his ReVox C270 machines failed under those
conditions. My A810 capstan did not like it--it froze up...the negatives
of very tight tolerances!

The Sony APR-5000 will work in colder temperatures according to their
parka-equipped former QC guy, but its heat output would also swamp my
fridge, so if I want to do cold playback it's the A77 or the Racal, I fear.

There is so much juggling to do with all of this. In fact, that's one of
the reasons I've gone back to more D5.

My comment about the A80 and your "W" transport was that I find the A80
by itself can work magic on problem tapes. That's how I got the nice
quote on my web page about the damaged Monterrey Jazz Festival tape.

Cheers,

Richard

Cheers,

Richard

On 2013-08-20 9:48 PM, Paul Stamler wrote:
> On 8/20/2013 5:57 PM, Richard L. Hess wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the tip. The cool thing (ha) about my cold playback technique
>> was I tested it with Sony PR-150--one of the poster children for
>> squealing--and it worked fine cold. I opened the fridge door and the
>> squealing restarted. I closed the door and I could hear it stop in less
>> than a minute.
>>
>> So, yes, the PR99 is not ideal for this. If I get to play the tape, I
>> would use the A80, except that it's 3.75 in/s and I haven't done the
>> 3.75 mod yet to any of my machines. I could use an A810, but I might use
>> the Racal Store 4DS which has proven very useful for squealing Shamrock
>> tape.
> Brother, you ain't kidding about PR-150. But how do you get an A80 into
> the fridge? That's a mighty big tape transport. Is it a restaurant fridge?
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Richard L. Hess                   email: [log in to unmask] Aurora,
Ontario, Canada                             647 479 2800
http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm Quality tape transfers --
even from hard-to-play tapes.