Wow. And fully resonant this morning. "Then I heard the sound of
drumming/and I knew what had to be done/we must join the war that was
coming/for a nice little place in the sun." -Brecht

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Lewis
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2013 10:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Entarte Kunst

I can already hear the grumbling ... "Ohh Uncle Dave glues macaroni to a
paper plate, spray paints it, and wants to share it with the group.."

Nevertheless, I am pretty proud of this. In 1988 -- the fiftieth anniversary
of the "Entartete Kunst" exhibit that toured Germany in 1938 -- I did a live
radio piece where I played multiple records of contemporary music at the
same time in sort of a mashup. Admittedly the records were of later vintage
than were used in 1938, but the effect was still the same; at the original
exhibit multiple turntables were set up, and as people played the records of
modern music all at the same time it resulted in a din.

More recently, I posted it as an audio piece after discovering it on an old
radio tape; I had thought it lost. My friend David Thomas Roberts suggested
that I should make a YouTube video for it to make it more accessible
generally. I did, and though the video and audio elements were prepared 25
years apart, they seem to mesh.

This could be an educational tool for those attempting to explain art in the
Nazi Period, or it may be seen as just a horror movie about something that's
not supernatural. "For those who dare..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCCkLzUpWfY

Uncle Dave Lewis
Lebanon, OH

PS: I know it is "Entartete" and not "Entarte," but I didn't know that in
1988. So I've decided to keep the wrong spelling as the title.