Hello Richard:

It was quitesome time ago that I did that project. As best as I can
recall, the tape did not exhibit a huge amount of adhesion, but
definitelydid not unwind by hanging free.

In general, my experience has been that both 16mm and 35mm mag film
exhibits more severe problems with VS than acetate base tapes. I have
never encountered a tape that has shown the degree of severity we've
seen on mag film. This probably is due in no small part to the thickness
of the base material, combined with a thicker oxide, as well as the fact
that many mag film have been stored (either sealed or un-sealed) in
cans, where as tape are generally in boxes.

We did one project a few years back involving both 1/2" and 1/4" 3M 206,
some of which had been stored in cans, others in boxes. Same vault, same
project. The 206 stored in the cans exhibited a much higher level of
acidityon the acid strips tests.

I have had varied results with cold treatment of acetate base film and
tape. To be honest, I have never tried going down to freezing-I've just
never been confortable with it. I have had some good success going down
to about 38 F though. The hardest thing to control is re-acclimating it
back to room temp without having condensation problems.

I have also had good success re-hydrating both tapes and mag film, but
have only done it in instances where the oxide is not shedding or
de-laminating.

It's tough to judge the effects of long-term exposure to dry storage
conditions for acetate. I have seen some tapes that have done quite well
in both dry vaults and conditions where moisture is higher. I thnk I
would still tend to lean towards a drier environment for most materials
though, especially if they are not in acid-free containers. I have also
encountered a number of 2" quad tapes which were stored in a fairly high
moisture (but cool) environment, and they did not fare well.

--Scott

Scott D. Smith CAS
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.