I just got a response from the person, and no, there are no stick-on labels, only CD-R "friendly" markings inside the inner circle.

I'm beginning to think we are indeed seeing bit-rot, while we've yet to see one of these discs in our office, that would be my initial guess.

Certainly concur with the group's assumptions about digital files going on a variety of media, we use LTO and only recommend CD-R for access copies for exactly this reason.

Please keep any more ideas coming, I've been forwarding them along and I know they appreciate it.

John