But what do you base your statement on? Just a general feeling that all has gone to hell? I think the situation is more nuanced and not as hopeless as you say. My sister just capped a 25 year career as a music teacher in the Philadelphia school system, most of it in some very challenged inner city schools. Many of her students have gone on to careers in music or music ed. Philly may stand out as a major city that never trashed its music program, but even here in NYC where it was famously cut many principals have turned to their discretionary funds to hire a music teacher or reach out to programs like Midori and Friends that bring music ed and live performances to underserved students.

Jazz at Lincoln Center's Educational wing has distributed free Ellington charts to over 4500 schools across the country and hosts a high school jazz band festival that is in it's 16th year...

Obviously these are just a few examples, but there are many more programs out there and they're not just for the privileged.

dg