 From: Richard L. Hess <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 4:19 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Sticky ACETATE tape

Hello, all,

I have been in touch with a tape conservator who was asking about a
sticky ACETATE tape. She realizes that it should not be baked, but I was
wondering if any of you had run across this.

The tape is in a Soundcraft box, but other tapes in Soundcraft boxes in
the same batch have transferred well. It is on a clear, six-window reel
(with three of the windows slightly larger than the other three). It is
brown oxide and not back coated.

There are no visible signs (to the conservator) of water damage to
either the box or the reel.

The symptoms are:

(1) Tape sticks to underlying layer and does not drop cleanly
     off the reel
(2) No oxide appears to be pulling out at the outside
(3) When attempting to play the tape, it squeals

The tape is half-track mono, perhaps both sides, at 3.75 in/s.

Any and all thoughts/anecdotes would be appreciated. I may be getting
this tape to transfer and I have some ideas--I'll publish on my blog
if we have success or learn anything.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: [log in to unmask] Aurora,
Ontario, Canada                             647 479 2800
http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm Quality tape transfers --
even from hard-to-play tapes.