The modeling of role in 2.2 has problems.  Will a single person playing
multiple roles be entered as multiple property statements for the same
resource, or will there be a way to specify multiple roles in the context
of a single property statement? Will BIBFRAME have an option for
unspecified or "other" role, given that the role terms appear to be part of
BIBFRAME's controlled vocabulary in Example 2?

The addition of Role as a BIBFRAME Authority resource mediating between a
Work and a Person in 3.2 would lead to requiring multiple BIBFRAME
Authorities for the same entity playing different roles. That runs counter
to the plan of having one BIBFRAME Authority per entity. Section 3.4
acknowledges this, but argues that multi-role cases (or at least those
resulting from anomalous data) will be a "very, very small percentage of
the whole"--but inevitably it will tend to be those named entities which
are most prolific which will turn out to have the most roles (and the most
anomalous roles in existing data), so dealing with these cases more
efficiently will still be a concern.

Rather than either of these, would it be possible instead to limit BIBFRAME
Work properties to Creator and Contributor (roughly reflecting the
distinction in Simplified Dublin Core and MARC's 1XX/7XX) and then allow
repeatable Type attributes or a Type attribute with multiple values for
those the Creator and Contributor properties to specify role more precisely
for a given entity's relationship to a resource? The Type attribute would
not be required, so if an agent's role has no controlled value, the agent
could still be named in relation to the Work in more general terms as a
Creator or Contributor. BIBFRAME Instance records might need to add another
general role term or two, but would leave more specific role terms to a
Type attribute.

The "bad data" case could be managed by defining a separate
"typeUnrecognized" attribute which could contain any text. To ensure better
control of "good data", the Creator/Contributor Type attributes might be
expanded into typeTerm, typeCode, and typeURI, each with declared
schema-level or implementation-level parameters.

Adding a new work in which someone named in an existing BIBFRAME Authority
has a new role should not require adding a new BIBFRAME Authority. Making
role part of the BIBFRAME Authority will place a burden on it which a
lightweight abstraction layer shouldn't have to carry.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
Technical Services, University Libraries