Current systems, maybe not. But we're trying to move toward an environment
wherein the local system can take in a record stocked with
machine-actionable IDs and reliably retrieve from the identified sources
whatever kind of text representation is preferred based on automated
negotiation with linked data sources.  The retrieved texts would then be
used to build local indexes and displays. Until that becomes standard
practice and maybe well beyond that point, bib data will continue to
include text strings for subjects, authors, etc.; meanwhile we'd like the
IDs to be there, too, so new kinds of processing and data management can be
supported.

Stephen