On 8/2/13 4:55 PM, Wallis,Richard wrote:

> Looks to me more like an attempt to produce a PURL service to point at
> publisher web page URLs.  They are only created upon request, and they
> could point at anything.  - even less like reliable resource
> identifier than the ISBN!

Richard, that is the nature of DOI, not just DOI for ISBNs. It can point
to anything, and at times that anything is a publisher's home page.
Still, DOIs are considered important identifiers.

I think this leaves us with a dilemma, which is:
1. Unless a publisher includes the ISBN-A on the package or in metadata,
you have no idea if there is one, but
2. Unless the ISBN international agency develops a canonical URI
pattern, we're stuck with the URN form - urn:isbn:....

Maybe we should be pounding on the doors of
http://www.isbn-international.org/ to get a simple, global ISBN URI.

kc