Laura, the problem with a Bowker-specific URI is that with an ISBN in
hand you would have to know that it's a US ISBN in order to turn it into
a URI. It needs to be a pattern that can take any ISBN. Bowker has the
isbn.org domain, while Italy uses isbn.it, France uses isbnfrance.com,
etc. It really has to be something global.

(I just did a quick search and isbn.com and isbn.info are registered but
available for $$.)

kc