We went through this in the schema.org Bibliographic Extension working group.[1][2] Unfortunately, many of the key identifiers in our field do not have an http URI form. There are a couple of dozen identifiers in MARC that don't have a URI, not to mention the huge list of organization codes, etc.

We finally decided that finding a standard way to encode non-URI identifiers was just too much, and we moved on to other things.

One option, of course, is for LC to define a "MARC-based" identifier and use that, knowing that the agency may eventually create a URI in its appropriate domain.

kc

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Identifier
[2] http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Identifier-2