Thank you both, Kevin and Karen, for your replies.

I am glad to see that BIFRAME has the intention to accommodate this issue.  Karen does a nice job of articulating some of the nuances that will have to be considered.

Francis

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] supplied information, in transcribed elements

There are (at least) four different things that Jorg addressed. Perhaps it would be better to look at them separately so as not to develop any confusion between them.

1) Language - coding by language is part of the RDF core standard. However, years ago a committee was looking into coding MARC data by language and essentially failed because the cataloging rules are not strictly language-dependent, and there are many strings in a bibliographic record for which the language isn't terribly relevent. For example, a book in German with the title "Marie Antoinette" the title string is not really either in German nor necessarily in French. The fields that could be tagged would be those that reflect the language of cataloging (250, 300, etc.), and perhaps subject headings. For proper names, language becomes quite complex, such as a name of Chinese origin where the person works in the West and prefers the Western name order.

2) Cataloging rules - this is covered in the FRAD standard: each access point should be coded by rule base. As I recall, this is "AACR2" not "AACR2 section 17.2.B3"

3) Transliteration - it would be nice to have the transliteration rules along with the transliteration, and to know that a string is a transliteration. I don't know if " en-US-x-aacr-transliteration" covers this, but know very little about transliteration. I do know that we moved from Wade-Giles to Pinyin in my lifetime, and I don't think those could be covered by "aacr-transliteration".

4) Supplied/transcribed/recorded - as suggested by Alan Danskin.

One would need to think of the interplay between these (e.g. could a transliteration be transcribed? or is it always supplied?).

kc