Three points:

1) Directly, I regard datatypes as a closed book. Others have explained why this is the case, but put simply, using custom datatypes is a pain in the neck and can be easily avoided.
2) bibo:isbn works fine.
3) What are the use cases for ISBNs? I'm guessing not "identifier" in any strict sense.

R.

On Aug 1, 2013, at 8:12 PM, Trail, Nate wrote:

> All,
>
> We're thinking about modeling identifiers (and other properties?) in two ways:
>
> 1) generic property with a more specific data type:
>
>                 bf:identifer  "9780394856308"^^http://example/org/isbn13
>
> or
>
> 2) specific property:
>                                                bf:isbn13 "9780394856308"
>
> where 'bf:isbn' is a subproperty of 'bf:identifier'.
>
> How does the community feel about these two options, and why?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nate

> Nate Trail
> LS/TECH/NDMSO
> Library of Congress
> 202-707-2193

Rurik Thomas Greenall
NTNU University Library | NTNU Universitetsbiblioteket
@brinxmat
http://folk.ntnu.no/greenall