It depends on whether Web Ontology Language (OWL) methods should be applied
to Bibframe for resolution of works and instances, or if ISBN identifiers
should be moved away from the Bibframe scope to get handled in programming
languages.

Option 1) is applying datatypes to ISBN. The essentials for RDF datatypes
are described in http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-Datatypes
The challenge with option 1) is that ISBNs must conform to the RDF rule
that there must be a lexical space, a value space, and a lexical-to-value
mapping. In my bibliographic applications I store each ISBN three times: an
original form (the lexical value from a catalog source, including incorrect
ISBNs), a value form (without hyphens and correct checksum and each ISBN-10
mapped to ISBN-13), and the alternative value (ISBN-10, if existing, with
the ISBN-10 checksum, for matching all kinds of ISBN queries). This shows
there is a normal form of an ISBN, but it can be augmented with variants
which are also valid, which adds some complexity to parse and represent
ISBNs like we programmers do with datatypes in programming languages. It is
possible to implement, but not easy to explain to the hasty programmers or
sceptical users out there.

Option 2) is useful for resolving inverse functional properties in OWL,
that is, if there is a property bf:isbn with the same literals asserted to
two different subjects, the assumption can hold that the two subjects are
equal under the presumption only one bf:isbn property can be asserted. This
reminds me of the bf:Instance discussion that bf:isbn might identify a
bf:Instance. Such ISBN literals can be arbitrary strings. It does not
matter if they are ISBN-10, ISBN-13, with or without hyphens, correct or
incorrect variants. It should not be expected that OWL resolution can
normalize all forms of an ISBN intrinsically. The normalization would be an
extra step in the preparation of Bibframe data, like we are used to it in
the world of MARC today.

Jörg