From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of J. McRee Elrod
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 09:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] BIBFRAME Annotation Model Draft 2

Michael Mitchell posted:

>A holding is an integral part of an instance and a work.

I agree with you that a work can not exist with an instance, and that an instance can not exist without a work.

But if I understand what a holding is, the other two can exist without a holding.  The records we prepare for electronic publishers and aggregators have no holdings, which is why LAC NUC will not load the records (although why a holding is needed when there is an 856$u URL for the resource, I fail to understand).