Technical Services Librarian

Brazosport College

Lake Jackson, TX

Michael.mitchell at brazosport.edu

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Hearn
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] What used to be uniform titles

I doubt that we'll ever abandon the idea of uniformly constructed text strings to represent instances of things in categories. What were moving toward instead is a shared system where the identity of things such as Beethoven's 9th symphony is represented primarily by a machine-actionable ID. That ID in turn will be associated with one or more standard  text strings for representing the Work in appropriate contexts.  Full heading strings will still be appropriate in index lists. Clusters of faceted information associated with the ID will be another version of this representation, useful for faceted result displays. Associating a collection with the IDs for the Works it contains will be  more important than associating it with particular text strings; but the end user views will still follow some kind of cataloging standard for textual representation.

Stephen

--

Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist

Technical Services, University Libraries

University of Minnesota

160 Wilson Library

309 19th Avenue South

Minneapolis, MN 55455