Please share with interested colleagues and appropriate lists.
On August 8, there will be an announcement on USAJOBS.gov
for a Unit Head position in the Cataloging Section, Technical Services Division at the National
Library of Medicine. The position will be listed as a Librarian GS-1410-13, with a salary range from $89,033 to $115,742 including locality pay per annum. The announcement will be posted for five days. This brief posting period is because of the federal government’s
interest in accelerating the hiring process and should not be interpreted as an indication that someone has already been selected.
The Unit Head in the Cataloging Section serves as the head of one of three cataloging units and is responsible for:
- Providing supervisory leadership and direction to a staff of professional librarian catalogers and library technical support staff;
- Ensuring the quality and consistency of NLM bibliographic records;
- Creating and evaluating original bibliographic and authority records for compliance to national and local standards;
- Advising management in establishing local policies for bibliographic control of library materials;
- Developing and documenting cataloging policies and procedures; and
- Representing the Cataloging Section on working groups within NLM and representing NLM to various professional and government organizations.
The Technical Services Division contributes to the National Library of Medicine’s mission of providing biomedical research and health information worldwide through a variety of programs and activities, including:
- Formulating, implementing, and evaluating NLM collection development policies;
- Selecting, acquiring, and processing the modern NLM collection of biomedical literature, including print and electronic resources and other digital content;
- Producing and maintaining cataloging records and the official catalog for the NLM collection;
- Creating and maintaining the NLM Classification System; and
- Managing NLM’s integrated library system, the online public catalogs LocatorPlus and NLM Catalog, and the NLM Digital Collections repository.
In addition to an interesting, challenging work environment, NLM has a great location on the campus of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. It is a short Metro ride from Washington D.C. and a
short walk from Bethesda’s thriving restaurant and retail district.