*Community and Fundamentals*

*Writing Series: Librarians as Authors*

*Twitter: #sladc*

*Register: http://dc.sla.org/events/?ee=248
*

One of the most fundamental skills a librarian can have, no matter their
work setting, is writing. Writing itself is such a broad topic that DC/SLA
is handling this skill with our Writing Series!

Join us at *Teaism in Penn Quarter* for an evening of networking,
refreshments, and fun in our second installment, *Writing Series:
Librarians as Authors*. Librarians deal with acquiring, curating, and
weeding books and ebooks all the time, but how many of us have made the
leap into writing a book? Longtime DC/SLA members *Kee Malesky* and *Bruce
Rosenstein* have taken the plunge, so we’ll be spending the evening
learning from them and celebrating their success! We’ll provide snacks as
both librarians speak briefly about their experiences as an author. They’ll
then be available for networking and book signings. *They won’t have hard
copies of their books for sale at the event but you can purchase them from
the links below:*

*To buy Kee’s books before the event: http://keemalesky.com*

*To buy Bruce’s books before the event:
http://www.brucerosenstein.com/book.html*

But that’s not all! Since this  year our focus is on *Community and
Fundamentals* we’ll also be hosting* a book drive* for the *US Tribal
Libraries*. There are over 280 tribal libraries throughout the United
States, including 37 tribal college libraries.  They serve as community
centers, tribal archives, reading rooms, and homework centers for specific
American Indian tribes.  Many of these libraries are supported by the
Association of Tribal Archives, Libraries, and Museums, but are in great
need of materials to share with their communities.

*Topics of Interest:*

1. Children's literature

2. Fiction - Westerns

3. American Indian/Native American literature - Fiction and Non-fiction

4. Non-fiction - related to outdoor activities (i.e. gardening, hiking,
camping, etc.)

We’ll have a donation box at the event for people to leave their books. *As
a reward for your generosity, people registering as a book donor get FREE
registration to the event!* For questions about the US Tribal Book Drive
please contact Asheleigh Perry [log in to unmask]

Don't worry if you can't make it to the event you can still participate in
the book drive by purchasing books for the *US Tribal Library Wishlist*:
http://amzn.com/w/2U8Y8XF8BPVNI

*When: *Monday, August 12th, 6:00 pm-8:00 pm

*Location: Teaism at Penn Quarter *400 8th St. NW, Washington DC 20004

*Closest Metro Station:*  Archives/Navy Memorial (Green/Yellow line) -
http://wmata.com/rail/station_detail.cfm?station_id=81

*Price:*  General Admission: $10

Book Donor Registration: FREE!

*Questions contact:* Chris Vestal at [log in to unmask]

*About the Authors:*

*Kee Malesky *has been answering questions for NPR reporters, editors, and
hosts since 1984. Her brain became stuffed with so many bits of
information, that she has published two collections – *All Facts
Considered*(2010) and
*Learn Something New Every Day* (2012). More about Kee and her books at
http://keemalesky.com

*Bruce Rosenstein* is Managing Editor of Leader to Leader and a lecturer at
The Catholic University of America Department of Library and Information
Science. He is the author of Living in More Than One World: How Peter
Drucker's Wisdom Can Inspire and Transform Your Life (Berrett-Koehler,
2009) and Create Your Future the Peter Drucker Way (McGraw-Hill, November,
2013).

--
Christopher M. Vestal
Government Consultant, LexisNexis

Guybrarian1 <https://twitter.com/Guybrarian1> on Twitter

*Like DC/SLA on Facebook* <https://www.facebook.com/DcSla>

*Follow DC/SLA on Twitter* <https://twitter.com/sladc>

*Find LexisNexis for Government on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/LexisNexisforGovernment>
 *
**
"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first." --Ernestine Ulmer