Gary

How does your program to create a superior 510 deal with situations when the body in 110 $a is not the immediately superior body? That is, when intervening stages in the hierarchy are omitted. The relationship designator “superior body” always refers to the imediately superior body in a hierarchy – they theory being that a machine can the contruct the complete hierarchy by means of these recorded relationships.

Regards

Richard

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gary L Strawn
Sent: 31 July 2013 15:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Place of death vs Affiliation

Anything that we can get for "free" by program, we're doing.  So most of the time our records for corporate bodies that have a subordinately-constructed 110 or 410 will have a 510 for the hierarchically superior body, because that can be done by program; records with 100 $d will have an 046 field, and so on.  We have tools to assist the cataloger with other things (such as generation of the 034 field from data in a 670) but in the end the rest is left to the individual cataloger facing the particular situation.

Richard is certainly right about redundancy.  For example, if one has a government agency entered under place:

                110 $a Chicago (Ill.). $b Department of Double Taxation

… there doesn't seem to be a lot of added value in putting Chicago into a 370 field as an associated place, and I expect that most catalogers here wouldn't; though I've seen this in records from other institutions. (It's not wrong; it's just not adding much, and there is so much other stuff begging to be done.  And, jumping on my hobby-horse here, until we are actually using links rather than text strings, there is no point at all in adding the "extra" RDA stuff if one doesn't take the trouble to spell it correctly; everything should be done by copy-and-paste, every time.  If you don't get it absolutely perfect, you're wasting your time.)

Gary L. Strawn, Authorities Librarian, etc.           Twitter: GaryLStrawn

Northwestern University Library, 1970 Campus Drive, Evanston IL 60208-2300

e-mail: [log in to unmask]   voice: 847/491-2788   fax: 847/491-8306

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.       BatchCat version: 2007.25.428