Adam,

Thanks. I'll leave our headings alone and hope that the proposal will be approved.

Mary Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Adam L. Schiff
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2013 7:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] RDA Conference authority question

The change to the AACR2 ongoing conference authorized access point was correct in RDA.  At the present time, RDA says not to include the place in the access point for a series of ongoing conferences UNLESS they were all held in the same place.  In that case, the place IS added to the AAP.  There is, however, a proposal that the JSC will consider in November that will change the instruction so that the place is always omitted from the access point for the ongoing conference.

Adam Schiff

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013, Lasater, Mary Charles wrote:

> Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 20:37:09 +0000
> From: "Lasater, Mary Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: RDA Conference authority question
>

> I'm looking over a list of last month's modified authority records.
> I've run into: n  85057075 International Architectural Exhibition $C (Venice, Italy) Individual conference nar's on OCLC show:
>
> International Architectural Exhibition  (6th :  1996 : Venice, Italy)
>
> International Architectural Exhibition  (3rd :  1985 : Venice, Italy)
>
> And
>
> International Architectural Exhibition (13th :  2012 :  Venice, Italy)
>
> Because all of our headings were linked to the first NAR our headings are now:
>
> International Architectural Exhibition (Venice, Italy) (11th : 2008 :
> Venice, Italy) International Architectural Exhibition (Venice, Italy)
> (12th : 2010 : Venice, Italy) Etc.
>
> I'm caught in a 'catch 22' since if I change our bibs to be like the individual authority records, most will no longer have authority records that match and link.    So I need to know if what I see on OCLC is what I can expect to see for this type of 'ongoing' conference or if this is, by chance, a 'mistake'.
>
> Thanks for any assistance,
>
> Mary Charles Lasater
> Vanderbilt University

Adam L. Schiff