Maybe what's needed for simple pseudonyms is a different kind of relationship. Often the pseudonym is just an alternate name, not really an alternate identity; useful for retrieving a certain body of work, but not as a collocation point for a whole new set of identity attributes. If we had a subordinating relationship like broader/narrower for use with names, we could specify that Richard Stark et alii are subordinate authorial names for Westlake, inheriting Westlake's identity attributes and defining one or two attributes of their own to distinguish them from the general Westlake case, e.g., for Stark, $c (Author of books featuring Parker). With relationships specified in these terms, the logic of hierarchy would in principle enable us to do general retrieval on all of Westlake's works, or just those he wrote as Westlake, or just those written by Stark. (And it could replace the current use of suppresssed 500s and 663s, which basically disfunctional for search redirection.)

This could also work for more fleshed out alternate identities belonging to a particular real identity, allowing for the odd duality of identity attributes that such figures possess. It would not address the problem of works created under an appropriated persona, like those by Sherlock Holmes or Satan, which are not really alternate identities for anyone in particular and should stand alone.

The question of whether qualifiers such as $c (Author of books featuring Parker) should be used in practice is one of the issues raised by the report of the PCC Task Group on the Creation and Function of Name Authorities in a Non-MARC Environment, currently under review by PCC.

Stephen