I don’t think that we can’t have a term in the CCM just because it isn’t used in RDA.  If we think the term is useful in the context of the guidance provided in the CCM, we should still be able to use it as long as we offer a clear definition within the CCM.

While I appreciate that there is some advantage to having guidelines grouped by data elements, even RDA acknowledges (perhaps reluctantly) that there are still differences in how description is done for what we currently know as bibliographic formats by having guidelines that pertain to specific formats such as serials.  When concerns were raised about the organization of RDA, we were told by the architects of RDA (or perhaps placated is the word, depending on your perspective) that all our concerns would be resolved by scoping features for bibliographic format in what we know now as the RDA Toolkit, which has yet to happen.  While perhaps the concept of bibliographic formats will be moot for future catalogers (although I suspect that the concept of seriality will remain), it’s still a relevant concept today.  I find, though, that for the generalist cataloger, RDA both in its organization and how it’s presented in the RDA Toolkit, falls short in its presentation of a practical approach to completing bibliographic description efficiently.

It is for this reason that tools such as the CONSER Cataloging Manual are so important to today’s catalogers and will remain so.  The CCM isn’t a substitute for using the RDA Toolkit, but having a clear presentation of guidelines and strategies for decision making for bibliographic description of continuing resources, is as they say in the MasterCard commercials, priceless!

Gene

Eugene Dickerson
Lead Librarian for Cataloging
Ralph J. Bunche Library
U.S. Dept. of State
2201 C Street NW, Rm. 2438
A/GIS/IPS/LIBR
Washington, DC 20520
(202) 647-2191 voice
(202) 647-0203 fax
Ready to take your research skills to the next level?
Bunche Library FullSearch<http://primo02v2.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?dscnt=1&fromLogin=true&dstmp=1297434884855&vid=BUNCHE&fromLogin=true>
Try it - let us know if you like it. [log in to unmask]

This email is UNCLASSIFIED.