I think that the concept of “continuing resource” is so foundational to the understanding of the philosophy of the type of cataloguing such items require that I’m intending to retain it in the early modules, but I am aware that I need to acknowledge its absence from RDA proper. I may well (with proper attribution) steal Kevin’s statements on the topic.

Naomi

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kevin M Randall
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2013 11:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCTG1] Continuing resource?

The term isn't in the RDA glossary, but it is in the index, as a reference to "Integrating resources" and "Serials".  This is something that I addressed in an article on RDA for Serials Librarian a couple years ago.  The last paragraph in the section was:

Yet the fact remained that although serials and integrating resources have several characteristics in common, there were still many ways in which instructions for integrating resources and serials differed in AACR2. The structure of RDA is entirely different. Instructions having to do with format and mode of issuance are not gathered into chapters specific to format and mode of issuance; instead, they are spread throughout the entire code, discussed as appropriate under each element to which they pertain. To have three types of issuance (serial, integrating resources, and the combined continuing resource) would needlessly complicate the instructions, since a cataloger would then sometimes find instructions captioned as being for “serials” and other times find them captioned “continuing resources.” The concept of continuing resources is an important one; aside from making a great improvement to AACR2 it has helped broaden understanding of matters of seriality in the profession. But in the context of RDA, the term “continuing resources” is simply not necessary for the instructions.

I think the term may still be useful in parts of our documentation, when we need to refer collectively to the different kinds of resources.  But the phrase "An electronic serial is a continuing resource that is accessed ..." probably doesn't need it, because the continuing nature is already applied in the term "serial".

KMR