Hello all,

While revising Module 7, we editors have run into an issue regarding coding for the indicators of field 246. Currently, the content and examples of Module 7 (most frequently seen in section 7.2) offer guidance on when to use specific indicators in field 246, including second indicator 4 for cover title and 6 for caption title. However, according to the CONSER MARC-to-RDA Core Elements document, current CONSER practice is to code all variant titles as 246 1# or 246 11 for parallel titles.

We've thought about handling this in one of two ways. We could either simply remove any mention of indicators that aren't 246 1# or 246 11, or we could keep the information on the additional indicators, and add something stating that current practice is to use 246 1# or 246 11. Before we commit to one of the methods, we thought that we'd get a sense of how other CONSER members would like this situation to be handled.

Thanks,

-Kevin

Kevin Balster
ERM/Continuing Resources Metadata Librarian
UCLA Cataloging & Metadata Center
(310)825-1936