What's that expression that's already come in handy, elsewhere?

"Best CONSER practice:"

CONSER did decide that blank and 1 are the only useful second indicators,
back when CSR was written on stone tablets, and it's fine with me
if the CCM does indicate that it remains CONSER practice to use only those.

However, all those other indicators are still valid,
and are in use in communities (rare serials cataloging, for one)
that do consult our documentation.

I think that the reference could be a bit less terse than
"formerly, more specific indicators were used."
How about
"formerly, indicators citing the specific source of the variant title (cover, running title, spine, etc.) were used".

Christopher H. Walker
Serials Cataloging Librarian
Penn State's representative to the CONSER Operations Committee
Member at Large, ALCTS CRS Executive Committee 2013/2016
126 Paterno Library
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802-1812
(814) 865-4212