Thanks David. I may have done some tweaking and hacking previously that got some things working. I really should jot down all my steps when doing things like this. If I can provide any additional info let me know.

________________________________
 From: David Brunton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: Jetty failed

Hi Glenn,

I will run through the Ubuntu instructions a couple times myself this week. I bet I'll get stuck in the same spots :) Last week I removed a bunch of things from the RedHat instructions like hardcoded version numbers, and I bet we've got some conflicts like that remaining in the Ubuntu instructions. If you don't mind standing by, I'll give it a try here on a fresh Ubuntu VM.

Best,
David.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Glenn Bunton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi David,

>Back at it some more.
>
>So we went back to Ubuntu 12.10
>
>1. Followed exact apt-get install instructions.
>2. Tested Apache - worked
>3. Tested Jetty - worked (after editing the /etc/default/jetty file to put Nostart correct
>4. Followed exact Get Chronam instructions
>5. Followed exact Configure Solr instructions
>6. service jetty start command returns Starting Jetty: FAILED
>
>Luckily remembered this time to make copies of original /etc/default/jetty and /etc/init.d/jetty files
>
>7. Replaced "new" /etc/default/jetty with original.
>8. Started Jetty - says it started but not correctly
>9. Put "new" /etc/default/jetty
 (/opt/chronam/conf/jetty-ubuntu) back
>10. Replaced "new" /etc/init.d/jetty with original
>11. Started Jetty - gives the correct "*Starting Jetty servlet
 engine. jetty..." information.
>12. Can access jetty in browser
>13. Solr fails - "404 Error - Problem accessing /solr. Reason: NOT_FOUND"
>

>I have witnesses that will swear we had this running at one point. We are following the instructions exactly.
>

>What's next?

sudo mv solr-4.3.1/example/ /opt/solr-4.3.1Obvioulsy not in /opt or I overwrite what's already there. Does it matter where I uncompress/untar?