All,

This is the fifth in a series of emails in which I will highlight upcoming changes to EAD.  As I previously wrote, I hope this stimulates discussion and comment, and serves as inspiration for the EAD community to engage with the beta release of EAD3.  More information on the revision and the beta comment form are available at http://www2.archivists.org/groups/technical-subcommittee-on-encoded-archival-description-ead/ead-revision-comments.

As a reminder, the deadline for comments on the Beta version of EAD3 is October 1st.  So please submit your comments in the next two weeks!

Structured <did> Elements

We have updated a number of <did> elements to improve their data models, making them more structured and hopefully more consistent.

<origination> and <repository>

<unitdatestructured> and <unitdate>

However, in order to provide a migration path for existing dates which do not follow the model provided in <unitdatestructured>, we will be keeping the <unitdate> element as an unstructured alternative.

<langmaterial>

The final structured <did> element is <physdescstructured>, which I will describe in my next - and final! - EAD revision highlights email.

For now, remember to submit your comments!

Best,

Mike Rush
TS-EAD co-chair