Whether you are a student, between jobs, or an employer, this Workshop offers something for everyone!
Job Search Workshop: How to Find Internships and Practice Your
Organized by the SLA Maryland Chapter
For library, information science, and knowledge management students looking for career employment, nothing spells success like having hands-on learning
experience in addition to classroom instruction. Internships can greatly expand your knowledge, experience, contacts base, and chances of career success. Many employers look for internship experience when hiring and often look to their own
interns as the best potential candidates to fill positions.
Savvy employers know that interns are a great return on investment. They provide a fresh and diverse talent pool for gaining new insights, novel ideas,
specialized strengths and skill sets. Intern contributions can keep an organization successful, relevant and competitive!
It’s a winning combination!
Who Should Attend:
· Students who want to jumpstart their careers by learning the essentials of finding and applying for internships, hearing about a variety of great internship opportunities and how to land the one that is right for you.
· Those who are between jobs and want to find out how the right internship can help you keep your skills sharp, gain new ones, expand networks, and
even test-drive a budding area of interest.
· Employers who want to meet prospective interns and learn more about how an effective internship program can be an excellent way to gain a foothold into addressing today’s workload and tomorrow’s workforce.
Workshop you will learn about:
· Available opportunities ranging from internships, practicums, independent study and field study projects for credit, to virtual internships, fellowships, and more!
· The SLA Mentor Program and University of Maryland iSchool Field
· How to find the right intern-employer match to achieve career and organizational goals
· How to structure an internship for maximum advantage from those in the know…career-building experts and seasoned
· The internships experiences of newly-minted librarians and current student interns
· How to give winning interviews. Get actual practice interviewing with immediate feedback!
· How to stand out from the crowd!
Job Search Workshop: How to Find Internships and Practice Your Interviewing Skills
Fee: $20 for students
$25 for SLA members
$30 for non-SLA members
Registration fee includes a continental Sunrise Breakfast of fresh-baked muffins, bagels, pastries, fruit platter, juices and coffee!
Registration is limited, so don’t delay! You won’t want to miss this opportunity to get your career rolling in the right direction!