Dear All,

Thank you Håvard for the swift and clear reply.

I vaguely remember that there was such a request probably in the 1980s, when experts were not yet aware of many issues in language coding.

According to Håvard’s reply such a case – if it existed – was not recorded and in practice not enforced. So what could be the conclusions?

(1) Today, we should not do something line “reserving a symbol” for a potential future change (except maybe for a new symbol, which is under discussion for inclusion in the 639 codes by JAC).

- in any case not for 2-letter symbols, where the possible combinations are so limited anyhow

- in fact also not for 3-letter symbols

From a practical point of view, such a decision could also be an internal temporary decision by the JAC, which does not need codification in the future ISO 639.

(2) JAC – out of its experience – could formulate a recommendation to that extent to the present 639 AHG and future ISO 639 JWG for modifying that clause in the future ISO 639.

Would that be agreeable?

Best regards

Christian