Agreed.  I used to use my crappy Dokorder 7140 for this.  It worked wonders
on sterile synth tracks.  I think the flutter helped to fatten them up a
lot.  FX - yes.  Hi Fi - NOT!  If it's sound quality commensurate with the
best digital gear you're looking for, then you have to spend the $$$ on a
great machine.

Ellis