I don't know about why it never went past Vol 1, but I love that LP for Bob
Dorough's readings of Ferlingetti's poem "Dog" and the Langston Hughes
poems, especially "The Dream Keeper".

In April I asked Bob (he'll be 90 in December) about that album and his
group on it, Ralph Pena, Billy Bean, Bob Hardaway and Larry Bunker. This is
his response:

Billy Bean used to come to NYC, from his native Philadelphia, to blow in a
jam session I held at my apt. - in the 50's. Then I lived in LA for 3
years. I had already composed and performed the three songs to Langston
Hughes, with Ralph Pena on bass, at the Lenox Jazz School.

After Ralph knew I was in LA he spoke to Lawrence Lipton about the songs
and Dr. L called me to ask me to record them for Jazz Canto. I said "It's
not 'Jazz & Poetry' - they're 'art songs' in the jazz idiom." "I want them
on the album anyway," he said. So I said, "OK, but let me do one at least
that I would think of as 'Jazz & Poetry.'"

What would you do? he asked - Without hesitation I said "Dog" by
Ferlinghetti. He was astounded and said OK. Bunker and Hardaway were just
cats I'd met since moving to LA and also special pals of Pena's.

Chris Bishop