-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Excellent Lou Reed rememberance

No offense but, ugh! "Studying" rock music kills the point. It's like
politely listening to hot jazz in a classical music venue. Rock is of the
gut and heart, not so much of the mind (although the mind plays a role).
Anytime it gets over-studied and over-wraught, it gets boring.

I suppose the analytical among us will say "everything" is worth studying,
and I guess there's an argument to be made there. But I choose not to have
it. For me, certain music is visceral and certain music is intellectual.
They both have a strong effect, when done properly. Lou Reed's best work is
more a gut-punch than a thought-piece. I would argue, that's why his music
inspired so many people to form bands. They didn't know exactly what they
liked about the music, they just wanted to do the same thing. VU's best and
Reed's best reonate in places where other rock music wasn't resonating at
that time, and it's a safe bet that where it resonated deepest was far, far
away from "studying" it.

-- Tom Fine