Hi Tom,

It appears to feed the back of the diaphragm case & may be setting a fixed back pressure to control the excursion of the diaphragm.

There are non-harmful tweaks that can be applied to the interior of the Victor Credenza that reduce the effects the restricted airspace places on the diaphragm.  The results are quite audible & positive.  Even more so when several non-standard adjustments are made to the reproducer pivots & tracking angles.

Most collectors frown on such non-harmful alterations but they afford an unexpected level of playback quality when paired with higher quality needles than readily available today.  Under such conditions, thoroughly cleaned shellac discs offer a surprisingly long lifetime of quality playback.

Cheers,

Duane Goldman

H D Goldman Lagniappe Chemicals Ltd.
PO Box 37066 St. Louis, MO 63141 USA