On 10/3/13 1:18 PM, Godby,Jean wrote:
>   But the problem with doing nothing is that we would have no conceptual underpinning for asserting that some collections of creative works have the same intellectual content – a problem that publishers have not addressed in any meaningful way. So we continue to look for a solution.

It has been addressed in a meaningful way, IMO, and the proposal is here:

http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/CommonEndeavor

This proposal allows one to "cluster" bibliographic information at any
level of abstraction (from Work to Item) around having the same
intellectual content (for some definition of "intellectual content").
The advantage with this proposal is that it does not require the
producer of the metadata to determine which is the canonical Work and
which is the variation on that Work. It also allows one to create
relationships between bibliographic descriptions at exist at different
levels of detail and abstraction. A wikipedia page for a book could be
related to an Amazon entry for a particular edition of that book by
using "CommonEndeavor".

The problem with "example of a work" (or instance, in BIBFRAME parlance)
is that it loses meaning if someone declares the wikipedia page for the
Work to be an example of the Amazon product entry. By doing so, you
implicitly have defined the Amazon product to be the Work, and the
wikipedia entry to be an instance or example of that work.

I don't think that "workness" is a universal concept, and I'm not sure
that even if we did define it clearly what percentage of the population
would have the necessary knowledge to know a work from an instance (or
example, or manifestation).

kc

--
Karen Coyle