Oops, I forgot genreform – 7,617.

Michele

From: Michele R Combs
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Evaluating inline EAD tagging practices in finding aids

> Does it match the MARC record, or does it depend on the collection?

As much as humanly possible, we keep our finding aids and our MARC records in sync, though it’s a very manual process and not much fun to do.

The only tag we don’t use much is function (and 99% of the time, it’s there only because it was in the pre-existing MARC record we used to create the skeleton EAD so it got imported).  We use all the others, though usually a finding aid will have just one or maybe two <occupation>s so that’s the least frequently used.  We use geogname regularly since we choose the tag based on the first component of the subject heading and a lot of historical events are sub-fields of the place where they happened.

For example, the LCSH heading for the American Civil War is

$a United States $x History $y Civil War, 1861-1865.

Since the first component is geographic, we’d tag this as <geogname>.

I did a quick search of our XML (~2100 files) and came up with this:

subject = 12,118 occurrences

persname = 12,016 (~2000 of these are in <origination>, though, not <controlaccess>)

corpname = 3,233

occupation = 3,030

geogname = 1,983

famname = 1,135