Hi Liz

This is related to my message to the list recently. I think it is always better to have more structure, as its better for machine processing, so we would always identify the parts of a name. Whilst we are still using names in EAD <controlaccess>, it would be the same for EAC-CPF as far as we're concerned.

You might have: David Lloyd George, which could be forenames David Lloyd and surname George, but we know its

forename: David
surname: Lloyd George

We're just in the process of trying to match our names to DBPedia, and have already done work matching them to VIAF - it helps to have this kind of structure….although matching to DBPedia is proving to be immensely difficult anyway!

My blog post on name matching gives a bit more substance to this approach: http://archiveshub.ac.uk/blog/2013/08/hub-viaf-namematching/

I know many archives are a not necessarily thinking about this kind of use of data, but it seems to me that providing the potential to do this is really worth considering.

cheers,
Jane

Jane Stevenson
The Archives Hub