Are you using the Oxygen xml editor? If you've linked you xml  to the METS and MODS schemas, the editor will validate your file for you. Otherwise, there is a service from Tom Habing over at Illinois, the MODS and Asset Action Explorer (http://ratri.grainger.uiuc.edu/AAX/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fAAX%2fDefault.aspx). I've never used this and am not sure how current this is. For METS the only service that I know of is PIM or PREMIS in METS from Florida (http://pim.fcla.edu/validate). If you are using PREMIS, then this would work. If not, you could always add a small valid PREMIS section and go from there.

Jennifer

-----Original Message-----
From: Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of METS automatic digest system
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 12:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: METS Digest - 19 Sep 2013 to 2 Oct 2013 (#2013-13)

There is 1 message totalling 17 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Alternative host for schema

Date:    Thu, 3 Oct 2013 02:59:42 +0000
From:    Brian Tingle <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Alternative host for schema

All my METS are dead in the water with the government shutdown.  Anyone hav= e any suggestions for validating METS with MODS till they turn the federal = government back on?  The instance documents all link to loc.gov for the MET= S and MODS.  Going forward, what is a reliable entity for hosting the schem= a?

Sent from my iPhone=

End of METS Digest - 19 Sep 2013 to 2 Oct 2013 (#2013-13)