Dear Colin,

the project site is still available through the Internet Archive (http://web.archive.org/web/20040804101826/http://www.leeds.ac.uk/cedars/colman/metadata/metadataspec.html).

I think I didn't put our requirements into the right words. In our project we want to preserve digital born literature. During the 1990s and the following years a certain amount of German authors wrote net literature, i.e. literature expressed in html-pages, usually with a huge amount of hyperlinks and images and so on. We now want to preserve this literature using web archiving.

Our aim is to keep records of the original hard- and software used to create/view the pages at its date of origin. So we wouldn't actually need a documentation of how the work was digitized (since it was already digital born), but of the technical environment it was created on.

As for cedars, I know that it's a predecessor of the PREMIS metadata scheme. Unfortunately PREMIS is ill-fitted for our project since we don't want to keep records of every element of the web pages, but only of the web page itself. Thus, I thought we could use cedars, which documents at page level.

I understand that the usage of cedars might be critical since it's already ten years old and no longer supported, but couldn't find any alternatives.

I thank you for your answer and would be glad if you could give some further advice or recommend other metadata schemes for us.

Sincerely,

Stephanie