Hi all--

I'm looking for examples or advice on how others have recorded complex creation environments within PREMIS.  We're currently building functionality in our Fedora repository to store disk images for our digital archives work and need to record the original software/hardware configuration within the metadata somewhere.  I realize that <premis:environment> is designed to store how objects are rendered, not how they were originally created.  But we need more detail than premis:<creatingapplication> allows since we're recording operating system and original hardware.   I'm hesitant to store this type of information in an event-agent relationship because of the complexity.  I've also heard that there will be a revision of PREMIS at some point and I want to be sure whatever we decide to do can be easily mapped to the new schema.

I'm also open to non-Premis solutions if anyone has any suggestions for recording this type of information in some kind of standard way.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Russey Roke
Digital Archivist
Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library (MARBL)
Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322
404-727-2345

prohibited.