Elizabeth,

Sébastien, will write to you about what changes we are proposing for PREMIS 3 for recording computing environments. There may also changes be coming for eventDetailExtension which will help recording these things. I just wanted to quickly send you some information on what we have done in the past.

You might find our paper helpful:

Developing a Robust Migration Workflow for Preserving and Curating Hand-held Media, Angela Dappert, Andrew N. Jackson, Akiko Kimura http://arxiv.org/abs/1309.4932

We recorded, amongst others:

Events:

Event Type Fields:

Clone: Copying the disk (CD/DVD) as a disk image (.iso; .mdf./.mds)

Checksum-Create: Checksum manifest should be created at the top project folder level as soon as disk cloning was completed, before copying data, or after extracting/curating files

Copy: Every time a set of data is moved/copied, source and target locations should be recorded. Checksum manifest should be always included in the data set

Checksum- Verify:  When the set of data was copied, checksum manifest should be verified at the destination location

Merge: Generally merger of separate sets of data should be only carried out by EAP curator after disk images were extracted as files

 Extract: Extracting the files from the disk image. Currently a java code created by DPT is operated by EAP

Curate: After files are extracted from disk images, EAP curator reorganise/rename the files and/or reject unwanted files Currently only TIFF files are curated, not AV files.

ServiceCopy-Create: Generating the service copies from the curated copies. Currently a Python script created by DPT is operated by EAP

For each data carrier in a batch to be processed we recorded for the Clone event:

Processing information (Event):

DiskOrder (FIFO, LIFO) – processing order of the robot

ItemsPerBatch

Batch

Status (closed-Successful, closed-Manual clone, closed-Partial clone, closed-Failed, open-Partial clone, open-Failed, Not attempted)

Comment (Duplicate ID)

Source information (Intellectual Entity Object):

ProjectID

Accession

Box

DataCarrierID

Accompanying Information

Image information (Object):

ImageID

ImageFileExtension (.iso, .mdf)

OtherFileExtension (.mds)

ImageFileDate

Size

Checksum

Etc.

Agent information (Agents):

HumanAgent

HWAgent (DupliQ DQ-5610, Nimbie NB11, Plextor PX-B120U, PC's disk slot)

SWAgent (QQBoxxPro3 v. 3.1.1.4, QQBoxxPro3 v. 3.3.0.5, IsoBusterPro 2.8.0.0, IsoBusterPro 2.8.5.0)

Cloning performance metrics:

ProjectID (M)

Batch

ItemsPerBatch