A lengthy article in the latest New York Review of Books. Daniel Mendelsohn, I think, really gets GRRM's work.

"Martin's novels...whose mission is, if anything, to question and reformulate certain cliches of the fantasy/adventure genre about gender and power."

In other words, every convention of fantasy and/or adventure, gets thrown out on its ear in the books.

Mendelsohn gets close to one of my thoughts about the series: The last thing a lot of Lannisters see- or don't see- is going to by Arya Stark.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/nov/07/women-and-thrones/

--
Charley
Desert Sailor