Haven't had time to watch the whole thing, but I don't miss the slides so
far. The info is interesting. It's like having Uncle Dave give a talk at my
local library, which would be a delight.

Lou's right. To pass on some advice, anytime you're dealing with pictures,
you have to be aware of extraneous things that can become distracting. Being
dark outside, the window is a nice background, but having the screen there
messes it up. OTOH, the reflection might be worse. If the screen can be to
the side and the room lights dimmed, it could be nice. Also, the camera
needs to be chest-level, not lower, and if possible placed farther back with
the lens zoomed in to create the frame. That would minimize distortion and
create a more flattering image. If sound is just from the camera, you can't
get too far back, so compromise.

I don't claim video editing as a professional skill, but I did the
developmental-editing of several classroom manuals for instructional courses
on Premiere Pro. It was a blast. More than capable and intuitive in concept.
By the mid-2000s it ran fine on ordinary PCs at lower than max resolution.
I've also used Camtasia, which is similar but very much a 'lite' product.
Could be all they'd need for what we're talking about, as could Photostory.

The vids below are purely of music, but show what minimal resources can make
possible. My friend conductor David Chin has made some pretty decent videos
of his concerts by using three stationary, un-operated camcorders, edited
with the bundled Microsoft movie thing. I give him 48k sound files. There's
no sync, but he lays the video over the sound and nudges the video stems
into adequate sync as he creates the visual cuts, with the camera audio as a
guide. The zoom effect is a feature of the software. Basic, but not too
shabby for a seat-of-the-pants amateur. Comparing the later vids to the
earlier, you can see how much of a difference better lighting makes. Just
one Fresnel is all it took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkbeVudqE8Y#t=244

http://www.davidchinmusic.com/conducting.html

Carl