-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 2:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] [78-L] PROGRAM Records early LP label info wanted

Hi Joe:

Good question! I looked in the booklets of the new Everest reissues and it
just says "Houston." I also re-checked part II of Lonn Henrichsen and David
Patmore's 2007 Everest profile in Classic Record Collector. No info on the
Houston recording site. Given that Everest didn't seem to be ambitious in
scouting new or different recording venues, my bet would be that the same
venue used by Capitol would have been used by Everest.

Stokowski also made some Everest records with the "Stadium Symphony
Orchestra," which was just NY Philharmonic players acting under a different
name so as not to violate the NYPO's recording contract. In any case, those
recordings were made at Manhattan Center, also used by Columbia, RCA and
Vanguard at various times.

By the way, Discogs and all of the other used LP websites show no reissues
of the Shostakovich 11th on Everest. There were reissues on Capitol with a
different cover, Seraphim (the budget reissue sub-label of Angel in the US),
Angel in Europe and Seraphim in the UK with a different catalog number. The
original Capitol 2LP set was in a box rather than a gatefold cover and had a
separate booklet. Nowhere in the original-issue Capitol 2LP set that I own
is there mention of the recording location.

-- Tom Fine