That is true, and I'm not immune.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doug Pomeroy
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 12:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] The new "Kind of Blue" remasters explained

Carl Pultz wrote:

> Although the CJM issues are mostly frowned upon, when the sources were
> decent, the discs sound okay, and this tune comes up great. It cooks,
> it steams, it almost boils over with energy. After the vocal intro,
> there's a long organ solo by Sir Charles Thomson, a bit understated
> but sharp, that builds tension. Then Buddy Tate enters like an
> after-burner and draws that groove even tighter up to Rushing's final
> chorus. It's about the most exhausting and joyous 5+ minutes I know of in
recorded music.

I'm sure your observation is valid, but there's one other element which I
think often comes into play and that is that the first version of a
recording makes an impression on us which later ones may never completely
match, "all other things being equal". I find this all the time with
classical music, where the performance with which I'm most familiar
satisfies me in ways which "better" subsequent versions invariably do not.
I'm human, all too human!

Just an observation, perhaps obvious.

And, by the way, I always thought the engineer for Kind Of Blue was Fred
Plaut, not Frank Laico.

Doug Pomeroy
Audio Restoration and Mastering Services
193 Baltic St
Brooklyn, NY  11201-6173
(718) 855-2650