I've seen the stokie/Houston Shostakovich 11th on Everest, but never bought it cause I had the Capitol box set. It looked like a late post Belock release in a lousy pressing in a cheap box.

Eric Nagamine

----- Reply message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [ARSCLIST] [78-L] PROGRAM Records early LP label info wanted
Date: Mon, Nov 18, 2013 2:56 PM

Hi Joe:

Good question! I looked in the booklets of the new Everest reissues and it just says "Houston." I also re-checked part II of Lonn Henrichsen and David Patmore's 2007 Everest profile in Classic Record Collector. No info on the Houston recording site. Given that Everest didn't seem to be ambitious in scouting new or different recording venues, my bet would be that the same venue used by Capitol would have been used by Everest.

Stokowski also made some Everest records with the "Stadium Symphony Orchestra," which was just NY Philharmonic players acting under a different name so as not to violate the NYPO's recording contract. In any case, those recordings were made at Manhattan Center, also used by Columbia, RCA and Vanguard at various times.

By the way, Discogs and all of the other used LP websites show no reissues of the Shostakovich 11th on Everest. There were reissues on Capitol with a different cover, Seraphim (the budget reissue sub-label of Angel in the US), Angel in Europe and Seraphim in the UK with a different catalog number. The original Capitol 2LP set was in a box rather than a gatefold cover and had a separate booklet. Nowhere in the original-issue Capitol 2LP set that I own is there mention of the recording location.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>