Preservation quality silver gelatin microfilm master on polyethelene terephthalate base that is properly created processed and stored has an ANSI AIIM life expectancy (LE) rating of 500 years.

-Walter Cybulski
National Library of Medicine

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard L. Hess [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 03:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Microfilm reader (was:  "Slide-tape show" Software)

On 2013-11-15 3:19 PM, Don Cox wrote:
> Assuming the microfilm is on a modern film base, it is not at all likely
> to turn to dust. Silver-based film, provided it has been correctly
> processed, is very long lived.
>
> You will give up on migrating your digital files before the microfilm
> decomposes.

Hi, Don,

My understanding is that a fair amount of microfilm is not silver-based
but rather dye-based and is fading.

I hope I'm wrong.

I don't have time to Google this right now.

Cheers,

Richard
-- Richard L. Hess                   email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm Quality tape transfers --
even from hard-to-play tapes.