John Hostage said:

>Since none of the essential ingredients of linked data [1] existed in
>1979, I think it's unlikely that UTLAS had linked data as it is understood
>today

The main, added, and subject entries (aka entry points) in MARC
records had the ASNs (001s) of authority records, as opposed to text.
The text of the authority was displayed when the record was displayed.

Of course a change in the authority resulted in an altered display
when the record was viewed.

What would you call that if not linked data?   A link replaced text.