Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of
free Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures,
entitled "Creating a Sacred American Space: Battlefield Protection at
Gettysburg" on Tuesday, November 19th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in the Department
of the Interior Library.

Just three weeks after the Union victory at Gettysburg, local
Pennsylvanians sought to transform sites marked by visible evidence of
combat into �the most eloquent memorials of glorious struggles and triumphs
of the Union army.� Loyal states sponsored development of a Soldiers�
National Cemetery in which to rebury fallen Federals following their
disinterment from temporary battlefield graves. Over time, veterans�
organizations, the U.S. War Department, and the National Park Service
successively assumed responsibility for ensuring preservation of the
Gettysburg battlefield as a place of pilgrimage for both northerners and
southerners alike. These grounds now attract more than one million annual
visitors who come to ponder, honor and reflect on the past as they seek to
discover what defines us as Americans.

We invite you to join Park Ranger Michael T. Kelly as he discusses the
creation of Gettysburg National Military Park as our nation commemorates
the 150th anniversary of President Abraham Lincoln�s immortal Gettysburg
Address..

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the
Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151
in Washington.  Space for the program is limited so please go to
the following link to register:

https://docs.google.com/a/nbc.gov/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGgtcWo5SGpfN3VNNVFobVNSTThyaXc6MQ#gid=0

You may also contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at
[log in to unmask] for more information about this program.   For
information about future DOI Library Park Ranger Speaker Series programs,
we encourage you to visit our Park Ranger Speaker Series website at
http://www.doi.gov/library/programs/speaker.cfm.

We hope to see you on November 19th!

George Franchois
Director - U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library
Office of the Secretary - Office of Facilities and Administrative Services
(OFAS)
1849 C Street, NW, MS 1151
Washington, DC 20240
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]