Yes, 18.5 speaks of the “resource,” not the “work,” so a relationship designator applied on the basis of that rule in a name access point shows the relationship of the name to the resource, not the work embodied in it (or the work that is one of several embodied in the resource).  It seems to me a stretch to include a relationship designator in a name-title AAP for a work in order to show the name’s relationship to the work.

Stephen, how do you feel about John Wright’s suggestion to make two different access points, one for the work (without $e) and one for the contributor to the resource (with $e)?

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Hearn
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] 700 name/title work entries that include relationship designators

RDA 6.2.2.10.2 gives us leeway to select "an appropriate specific collective title." If the assembled Berengo-Gardin works are all photographs, then using "$t Photographs. $k Selections" seems specific and appropriate.

I could see including the $e in a relationship statement to express the relationship between Berengo-Gardin and the work per RDA 18.5; but that's different. The name that appears in the authorized access point is just that--part of the work's access point, and not generally the preferred place to express the relationship.

Though there appear to be exceptions. The MARC21 Authority Format includes "$e defendant" in the name/title access point for a court case as an example of using $e (cf. Names and Terms--General Information/X00, $e).

Stephen